Lindsay Fischer with Artists from YOU dance. Photo by Bruce Zinger.
YOU dance stands for Youth, Outreach and Understanding Dance and is designed to introduce students in grades four to six to the world of dance through FREE workshops and performances. Workshops are led by an Artist Educator and present a learning experience for both students and classroom teachers.
Performances, by Apprentices from The National Ballet of Canada, take place in the intimate setting of the Betty Oliphant Theatre in Toronto. There are numerous opportunities for students to interact with the artists and the dance works presented through active discussion.
Thank you to The National Ballet School for hosting the performances in The Betty Oliphant Theatre.
Take a look at at some reviews from our participants.
YOU dance Goals
- To help stimulate the creative imagination
- To encourage physical activity
- To introduce and reinforce the idea of dance as a means of physical, emotional and creative expression
- To provide a window into what it’s like to be a dancer
- To introduce students to watching a live performance, what to look for and to experience the protocol that accompanies these activities