Promoting arts, creativity and self-expression
Strategic Priority: To introduce young Canadians to the magic of live performance and to encourage them to explore movement, music and imagination
Dance has an extraordinary power to inspire children with the power and possibilities of communication, physical well-being and a sense of belonging and involvement. The National Ballet of Canada is dedicated to sparking a passion for artistic expression, collaboration and creative thinking in the lives of young people. It is important to develop a cultural literacy in the next generation of artists and audiences and, more broadly, to encourage creativity, empathy, confidence, self-discovery and appreciation for the arts.
"We want children to understand that ballet is an art form that uses movement, shape and rhythm to convey the human experience. Through dance, we validate their continued joy of moving to music and the innate desire to express one’s feelings spontaneously and freely." Lindsay Fischer, Artistic Director, YOU dance
Soaring Achievements to Date
With generous donor support, the National Ballet has:
- Expanded the reach of the YOU dance programme by using technology to live stream to students across Canada
- Introduced the YOU dance Residency, which provides a more intensive experience in dance and creative self-expression for an under-served neighbourhood, and YOU dance Relaxed Performances
- Partnered with four other leading companies to create World Ballet Day, a livestream that invites fans around the world to see behind the scenes
With gifts to the Soaring Campaign, the National Ballet will be able to:
- Expand the reach of the national YOU dance livestream even further and to build on the experience with more resources for teachers and students
- Use the YOU dance Residency pilot project as a model to engage young people who otherwise would not have opportunities for art-based learning in their communities
- Develop an Innovation Fund in order for the National Ballet to explore new education and outreach projects that will extend our reach beyond borders through emerging and interactive media
Your gift will be matched!