Exciting New Visions of Dance
Strategic Priority: To collaborate with the most celebrated choreographers on thrilling new works that engage audiences and push the boundaries of the art form
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Karen Kain, the National Ballet is a world leader in the creation of new productions and as a first-choice destination for creative partnerships. New works provide opportunities for dancers and choreographers to explore fresh visions of dance and push the boundaries of the art form. As the country's largest ballet company, the National Ballet dedicates its resources to creating new works, helping to build creative capital to inspire current, new and future audiences.
"I grew up wanting to be a part of this National Ballet and I'm honoured to be asked to contribute. I'm grateful for the company's commitment to my development and for the opportunity this allows for me to take creative risks, which is extremely valuable as an artist." Robert Binet, Choreographic Associate
Soaring Achievements to Date
With generous donor support, the National Ballet has:
- Created significant new works, such as Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Romeo and Juliet, The Winter’s Tale, Le Petit Prince, Pinocchio, Frame by Frame and Anna Karenina
- Acquired important works from the world repertoire, such as Nijinsky, Chroma, Genus, Paz de la Jolla and The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude
- Created the role of Choreographic Associate to nurture Canadian choreographic talent
- Purchased the Gretchen Ross Production Centre to house the building, maintenance and storage of sets
With gifts to the Soaring Campaign, the National Ballet will be able to:
- Commission or acquire works from Canadian, emerging and established choreographers
- Expand the Choreographic Workshop to allow more time for creative exploration
- Collaborate with the finest set, costume and property designers and production staff
Your gift will be matched!