Frequently Asked Questions
Who can take classes at In Studio?
In Studio offers a wide range of dance and fitness classes. Our dance classes are suitable for individuals with little to no dance training as well as those at an elementary, intermediate or advanced level. No dance training is necessary for our fitness classes.
Our classes are open to adults, as well as mature teens and pre-teens, ages 12 and up.
How do I sign up?
Sign up for classes, workshops, Intensives and more here.
Which classes require registration and which classes can be attended using a class bundle?
In Studio's workshops all require registration. All other classes on the schedule may be attended using a class bundle. All class bundles are valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.
Where do classes take place?
All classes at In Studio, take place at The Walter Carsen Centre for The National Ballet of Canada, located at 470 Queens Quay West, just west of Spadina Avenue on the waterfront.
Is parking available?
Paid parking (cash only) is available on the south side of Queens Quay West, just east of Bathurst Street. There is additional paid parking available behind Shoppers Drug Mart, located on the north side of Queens Quay West, just east of Spadina Avenue.
How do I get there by TTC?
From Union Station, take the #509 Exhibition streetcar to Spadina Avenue. From Spadina Station, take the #510 Spadina streetcar to Queens Quay West.
What should I wear?
- Ballet: soft ballet shoes, form-fitting clothing (leotard and tights or t-shirt and yoga pants)
- Jazz: form-fitting clothing (leotard and tights, leotard and shorts), bare feet, socks, or jazz shoes are all suitable
- Contemporary: form-fitting clothing (leotard and tights or t-shirt and yoga pants), bare feet or socks
- DanceFit Barre and Fletcher Fusion™ Pilates and Essentrics: form-fitting clothing (leotard and tights or t-shirt and yoga pants), bare feet or socks
- HIIT Strong: Bare feet, socks or clean indoor running shoes if you require foot support
- DanceFit Cardio Barre: comfortable clothing, running shoes or dance sneakers
- Pointe: Pointe shoes that have been fitted by a professional. In Studio recommends seeking professional fitting from The Dance Shoppe or The Shoe Room
What level is appropriate for me?
For Full Body Barre, Pilates, Essentrics, Ballet Conditioning classes:
- Open to all levels and require no dance experience.
For Ballet classes:
- Absolute Beginner Ballet workshop: no experience necessary. Absolute beginners with no previous dance experience are welcome.
- Absolute Beginner Ballet Level II Drop In: Beginners that have completed our Absolute Beginner Ballet workshop.
- Beginner Ballet Level I: 6 months – 1 year experience. These classes move slowly to ensure participants are learning at a steady pace. For dance students that have a basic understanding of ballet terminology and technique, or are just returning back to ballet class after time off.
- Beginner Ballet Level II: 1 – 2 years experience. For beginner ballet students or dance students that have attended at least one year of Beginner Ballet Level l consistently, or are just returning back to ballet class after time off.
- Elementary Ballet: a minimum of 2 years experience.
- Intermediate Ballet: 3 – 5 years experience, with a minimum of 3 years.
- Advanced Ballet: 5+ years experience.
Do you offer make up classes?
There are no extensions on expiration dates for class bundles. Unused classes will not be honoured after the expiry date. Make up classes for drop in classes will only be issued due to injury or illness and will be offered on a case by case basis.
Make up classes for workshops will be issued up to a maximum of three missed classes and can only be used towards classes within the present term. Requests for make up classes can be sent via email to email@example.com or by phone at 416 345 9595. All requests must be received prior to attending class.
Are there change rooms available?
Change rooms and lockers are available. Please bring your own lock should you wish to lock your belongings. Bags and personal items are permitted in the studio and must be kept neatly along the walls or in the studio alcove. Food and drinks, except personal water bottles, are not permitted in the studios. The National Ballet of Canada is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.