Selene Guerrero-Trujillo. Photo by Karolina Kuras.
Born: Mexico City, Mexico
Trained: The National Ballet School of Mexico and Canada’s National Ballet School
Second Soloist Since: 2022
Five Things to Know
- Selene began her dance training in Mexico City before joining Canada’s National Ballet School with scholarships from Mexico’s National Council for Culture and the Arts.
- She performs the soloist roles of Bee in The Nutcracker, Second Fairy in The Sleeping Beauty, Hungarian Princess in Swan Lake, Blossom in Cinderella and Peasant in Giselle.
- Her repertoire includes ballets such as Romeo and Juliet, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Onegin, The Winter’s Tale, Nijinsky, Manon, Serenade, The Four Seasons, The Four Temperaments, Genus, The Second Detail and Angels' Atlas, among others.
- Selene appears in Ben Shirinian’s commissioned film of The Dreamers Ever Leave You by Choreographic Associate Robert Binet, which debuted as part of the virtual season in 2021.
- In 2021, she received the Patron Award of Merit on behalf of the Patrons’ Council Committee of The National Ballet of Canada in recognition of her extraordinary effort throughout the 2020/21 virtual season.
Selene Guerrero-Trujillo was born in Mexico City, Mexico and trained at The National Ballet School of Mexico and Canada’s National Ballet School. She joined The National Ballet of Canada as a member of the Corps de Ballet in 2007 and was promoted to Second Soloist in 2022.
Most recently, Selene made her debut as the Other Stepsister in Cinderella and performed in the Canadian premieres of David Dawson’s Anima Animus and Alonzo King’s The Collective Agreement. Her repertoire also includes Bee in The Nutcracker, The Spanish Dance in Karen Kain’s Swan Lake and Hungarian Princess in James Kudelka’s Swan Lake, Second Fairy in The Sleeping Beauty, Twig, Blossom in Cinderella and Peasant in Giselle. She has also danced in ballets such as Romeo and Juliet, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Onegin, The Winter’s Tale, Nijinsky, Le Petit Prince, Manon, The Merry Widow, The Seagull, Pinocchio, La Sylphide, Serenade, Don Quixote, Symphony in C, Theme and Variations, The Four Seasons, The Four Temperaments, Genus, MADDADDAM, Opus 19/The Dreamer, Allegro Brillante, Rubies, Glass Pieces, The Second Detail, Emergence, Angels’ Atlas, West Side Story Suite, Carousel (A Dance), Serenade, Etudes, Paquita, Frame by Frame, Cacti and Crepuscular.
Selene received scholarships from Mexico's National Council for Culture and the Arts while a student at Canada’s National Ballet School. In 2021, she was the recipient of the Patron Award of Merit and the David Tory Award in 2022.