Assistant to the Wardrobe Supervisor
The National Ballet of Canada, Canada's premiere ballet company and one of the world's top international dance companies, is looking for an exceptionally organized and dedicated full time Assistant to the Wardrobe Supervisor.
Under the leadership of Karen Kain, the company is experiencing an unprecedented level of artistic excellence, attracting some of the world’s most sought-after choreographers, mounting spectacular new productions, and touring to the most important dance centres in North America and abroad.
The Wardrobe department at the Ballet is where all of the wonderful costumes for each production are built and maintained by a team of highly skilled wardrobe specialists. Reporting to the Wardrobe Supervisor and supporting our wardrobe department at the Walter Carsen Centre, the Assistant to the Wardrobe Supervisor performs administrative tasks to help maintain the integrity of the costumes for The National Ballet of Canada.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing administrative support to the Wardrobe Supervisor and Wardrobe Department including but not limited to: general accounting; petty cash, credit card and timesheet submissions
- Creating and maintenance of show bibles to document research, sketches, and all relative materials pertaining to the build of a production or costume including photographing costumes for both new and existing productions
- Creating/maintaining inventories for new shows and existing shows as needed
- Managing all communications for the wardrobe department via online calendars and communication boards
- Organizing and booking fittings for the wardrobe department. Maintaining fitting rooms to make ready for use
- Maintaining the all storage elements of the Wardrobe including communications with facilities to relay any issues
- With direction from the Wardrobe Supervisor, provide direction to staff both fulltime and contract
- Assist with purchasing for both department and show related items
- Attend dress rehearsals and tech dress rehearsals to assist the Wardrobe Supervisor with maintaining the integrity of the costumes designs and work with the IATSE Head of Wardrobe and crew at the theatre to help solve any concerns
- Participate in special projects, as assigned by the Wardrobe Supervisor
- At least two to three years of clerical and administrative experience with basic word and document processing, filing, photocopying, data entry, and other related duties.
- Theatre/Performing Arts production experience essential, with an appreciation and a passion for the performing arts
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Sharepoint, Word, Excel, Access and Photoshop
- Excellent planning, organizing, prioritizing and multi-tasking effectively while managing changing priorities.
- Ability to take initiative and demonstrate a flexible approach in responding to needs as they arise.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, with minimal supervision.
- Hold excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong negotiating skills and diplomacy considered an asset
- Willingness and availability to work evening and weekends, as required.
Qualified candidates should forward their resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HR@national.ballet.ca with the subject heading: "Assistant to the Wardrobe Supervisor " by no later than December 17, 2018. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidate may be subject to a criminal background check.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.