Director of Marketing and Communications
The National Ballet of Canada is one of the most exciting, innovative arts institutions in Canada, and regularly ranked among the top ten ballet companies in the world. With an annual operating budget nearing $40M and a robust $74M endowment fund, the National Ballet of Canada is a fiscally stable institution, and is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, the fourth largest city in North America and one of the most vibrantly diverse cities in the world.
Established by founder Celia Franca in 1951, The National Ballet of Canada presents a full range of traditional full-length classics, and has been an innovative commissioner of new contemporary work by some of the most important choreographers and designers in the world. Under Karen Kain’s leadership as Artistic Director, the company has also made it a priority to develop and promote Canadian dancers, choreographers and designers through unique opportunities including the Choreographic Associate programme and the new CreativAction programme.
The National Ballet performs annual Fall, Winter, Summer, and Nutcracker seasons, along with touring in Canada and around the world. Over the last five years, The National Ballet has perfomed to sold-out audiences and critical acclaim in New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, San Francisco, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamburg, San Francisco, London, Paris, Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
The National Ballet is deeply committed to the values of equity, diversity and inclusion across the organization, and through community education programs that bring dance to the broadest possible community. YOU dance, the National Ballet’s signature education programme, is now live-steamed to every Canadian province and territory.
The National Ballet employs 120 artists, dancers and musicians, in addition to 130 permanent and part-time production and administrative staff . The company owns two properties, the Walter Carsen Centre on Toronto’s beautiful waterfront, which serves as our corporate headquarters, and the Gretchen Ross Production Centre, located in Scarborough, where our productions are built, maintained and stored. Our Toronto performance season takes place at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, one of the finest modern opera houses in North America.
The National Ballet of Canada is searching for a seasoned, forward thinker, deeply collaborative, data and digital centric, enthusiastic Director of Marketing and Communications to lead and manage the overall performance and growth of the marketing, communications, and audience and donor services teams. The Director of Marketing and Communications will partner closely with the Director of Development in creating and implementing a comprehensive patron communication and engagement plan, including the joint coordination of shared resources required for all teams. The Director of Marketing and Communications will report to the Executive Director and is an integral member of the senior management team.
- Overall responsibility for achieving the company's earned revenue (approx.12-14 million annually) through subscription and single ticket sales.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, overseeing the progress, promotion, and implementation of a comprehensive patron engagement plan that includes marketing, public relations, communications (including developing all materials), stewardship and fulfillment strategies that will achieve earned and contributed revenue targets.
- Ensuring that The National Ballet of Canada's brand internally and externally is well executed.
- Developing and monitoring the annual and multi-year forecast for earned revenue and overseeing the budget for marketing, communication, and audience and donor services.
- Ensuring revenue maximization through data analysis on subscription, single ticket, and Nutcracker campaigns as well as pricing/rezoning the theater.
- Managing 25 full and part-time staff.
- In partnership with the Director of Technology, ensure that the company is at the forefront of new media, social media, web and digital development.
- Overall responsibility for retention of subscribers and acquisition of new subscribers
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION/ CREDENTIALS / FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES — SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- University degree or equivalent experience in event-based and institutional marketing or related field.
- Minimum of 10+ years experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit arts or commercial entertainment sectors.
- Strong creative, strategic, innovative, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, motivating, supervising and appraising staff.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of online/digital and print materials and publications.
- Experience and strong interest in data-driven decision making.
- Experience and strong interest in exploring, implementing and leveraging digital technology, platforms and opportunities.
- Strong computer literacy with advanced Excel skills, word processing, database management (Tessitura preferred), design and page layout.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. Consistently demonstrating skills as an active listener and utilizing a clear and concise writing style.
- Strong presentation skills, communicating ideas and business cases clearly and with a view to engaging the audience.
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT/ BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated ability to oversee, motivate and develop teams.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interact and collaborate with various levels in the organization and with a diverse range of individuals internally and externally.
- Ability to work cross-functionally, collaborate with others and contribute to team initiatives; demonstrate a willingness to work with other departments to support ideas and initiatives balancing creative and new initiatives with fiscal responsibility. Be a leader for change and strong collaboration.
- Demonstrated orientation towards personal accountability, with a strong mandate to consistently meet performance objectives and clearly communicate and measure goals against key performance indicators.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities within tight deadlines and consistently demonstrates a strong sense of urgency.
- Displays a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated solid business acumen with strong negotiation skills.
- Analytical and strategic mindset and approach to problem-solving.
- Self-confidence, willing to stand up on principle and present sound analysis and business cases to support views; utilize reason and judgement and demonstrate flexibility when dealing with others.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, a desire to go for the “win-win solution” and build consensus where applicable and appropriate.
- Consistently demonstrates a high level of integrity, confidentiality, accountability, dependability and common sense.
- Strategic and pragmatic decision maker recognizes and integrates changing priorities and is flexible with an ability to utilize various approaches depending on the situation; consistently showing sound judgement and decision-making capability.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to ensuring that our community reflects the extraordinary diversity of the City of Toronto on stage, behind the scenes, in our audiences and in the board room. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should forward their applications to HR@national.ballet.ca attention: Kathleen Matatya, Associate Director of Human Resources with the subject heading: "Director of Marketing & Communications" by no later than August 30, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check.