The National Ballet of Canada, Canada's premier dance company and one of the world's top international dance companies is looking for an energetic and exceptionally motivated Publicist to join our communications team.
Under the leadership of Karen Kain, the company is experiencing an unprecedented level of artistic excellence, attracting some of the world’s most sought after choreographers, mounting spectacular new productions, and touring in North America and abroad. The need to stay ahead in public relations and social media is paramount in reaching the broadest potential audience.
The Publicist Contract is for a six and a half month parental leave cover, from late August 2019 to March 2020, and is responsible for creating and implementing a strategic public relations plan for The National Ballet of Canada.
- Implementing innovative strategies to promote and secure positive media coverage of the activities and artists of the National Ballet
- Developing stories to increase awareness of the National Ballet in, traditional, non-traditional and new media
- Cultivating and nurturing relationships with media while assessing and analyzing the evolving media landscape to determine best practices and tactics
- Planning announcements, openings, events, media shoots and key National Ballet initiatives
- Supporting overarching objectives of the Communications department and ensure that all messaging is in line with the National Ballet brand for a cohesive strategic plan
- Responsible for managing all media inquiries and tactical on and off-site interview coordination
- Creating publicity materials, including media releases, pitches, key messages
- Managing and coordinating and securing coverage for celebrity walk-on roles
- Degree in Media/Public Relations or Communications, or related field
- Minimum 5+ years publicity experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Quick learner who is a team player and able to multi-task and produce under high pressure situations
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude with ability to build a rapport with the media
- Highly creative and strategic thinker, with the ability to consistently deliver new ideas
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, with an exposure to video and Photoshop is an asset
- Understanding as well as an appreciation and passion for the performing arts
- Able to work evenings and weekends, as required during the performance season
- Established relationships with relevant media contacts is an asset
Qualified candidates should forward their resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to HR@national.ballet.ca with the subject heading: "Publicist (Contract)" by no later than July 5, 2019. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.