Technical Director (contract)
The National Ballet of Canada, Canada's premiere ballet company and one of the world's top international dance companies, is looking for an experienced and dedicated Technical Director to work for the remaining 2019-2020 Season, to June 30, 2020.
Under the leadership of Karen Kain, the company is experiencing an unprecedented level of artistic excellence, attracting some of the world’s most sought-after choreographers, mounting spectacular new productions, and touring to the most important dance centres in North America and abroad.
The Technical Director is responsible for the planning, management and supervision of all stage and rehearsal work associated with the mounting and running of the National Ballet of Canada's productions. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Management of all onstage technical activity and expenditures
- Supervision of Production Department staff including Road Crew and stagehands
- In conjunction with the Director of Production, works with designers, choreographers and Production Department staff to ensure that all productions are realized to the highest artistic standard, within the constraints of the NBOC’s schedules and budget
- In conjunction with the Director of Production; management of technical budgets including stagehands, equipment transportation and equipment costs (capitals and equipment maintenance)
- In conjunction with the Director of Production, researching and evaluating touring engagements.
- Leads the Production Department’s participation in the NBOC's Health and Safety program
- Other related duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education in a technical/production field
- Minimum of five (5) years technical theatre supervisory experience including experience working alongside and supervising IATSE union stagehands
- Extensive knowledge of stagecraft, theatre production and scenic construction, rigging, automation, lighting and video
- Extensive knowledge of ballet repertoire in relation to technical production
- Skilled in scheduling and budget management and personnel management
- Superior organization and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and exercise good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities successfully
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential and tactful manner
- Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices
- Proficiency in Vectorworks, MS Office
- A passion for the performing arts, and a commitment and willingness to work evenings and weekends, as required
Qualified candidates are to forward their resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HR@national.ballet.ca with the subject: "Technical Director" by no later than November 29, 2019. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates may be subject to a criminal background check.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to ensuring that our community reflects the extraordinary diversity of the City of Toronto on stage, behind the scenes, in our audiences and in the board room. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.