Full Time Seasonal Contract - approx. 26 weeks/year
The National Ballet of Canada, Canada's premiere ballet company and one of the world's top international dance companies, is looking for an exceptionally organized and dedicated full time seasonal Wardrobe Coordinator to work approximately 26 weeks per year, from September to May.
Under the leadership of Karen Kain, the company is experiencing an unprecedented level of artistic excellence, attracting some of the world’s most sought-after choreographers, mounting spectacular new productions, and touring to the most important dance centres in North America and abroad.
The Wardrobe department at the Ballet is where all the wonderful costumes for each production are built and maintained by a team of highly skilled wardrobe specialists. The Wardrobe Coordinator is responsible for overseeing costume preparation, maintenance and storage. This position is also responsible for the set up for costume elements for touring, performances and photo calls.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assigning/Coordinating existing costumes
- Organize and execute fittings, alterations, including maintenance/laundry on existing costumes
- Packing and preparing costumes for touring
- Liaising with production wardrobe staff for replacement of costumes or major repairs and alterations
- Collaborating with Wig Coordinator and Footwear to communicate and understand pertinent information
- Organizing and executing the cleaning and preparation of costumes for publicity, rehearsals, displays, archives and storage
- Assiting Rental Coordinator with organizing, preparing, cleaning and packing costumes for rentals for individual dancers and other ballet companies
- Working closely with Assistant Wardrobe Supervisor to maintain inventory information
- Creating and updating wardrobe plots and dresser notes for the use of backstage wardrobe for all performances, tours, and outreach shows
- Attending Dress Rehearsals and providing support as requested by Wardrobe Supervisor
- Maintaining stock of ballet garments and rehearsal wear
- Participating in outreach and development/fundraising events
- Assisting in maintenance of Costume Storage
- Post-secondary diploma in theater studies and/or fashion design
- At least 3-5 years of experience in costume fittings and alterations
- Knowledge of garment construction, sewing and pattern drafting
- Theatre production experience essential, with knowledge of theater protocol and performers
- Ability to work independently and as a member of the team, with minimal supervision
- Hold excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, database work, Outlook, Word and Excel
- Willingness and availability to work evening and weekends, as required
Qualified candidates should forward their resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HR@national.ballet.ca with the subject heading: "Seasonal Wardrobe Coordinator " by no later than May 21, 2019. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidate may be subject to a criminal background check.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.