Citadel Spring Mix
In collaboration with The National Ballet of Canada’s CreativAction Programme
A new joint initiative from Citadel + Compagnie and The National Ballet of Canada’s CreativAction programme, Citadel Spring Mix is a new and exciting annual dance series that will feature works by some of Canada’s most talented artists. The series will include new works by Toronto-based artists alongside established works by Montreal-based artists* at The Citadel: Ross Centre for Dance April 2 – 14, 2024.
Call for Applications
Citadel Spring Mix is seeking proposals from local professional dance artists for new works to be developed and brought to the stage.
Application Deadline: September 29, 2023
This call is open to Toronto-based artists at all stages of their careers and aims to support artists, companies or collectives who are presenting new works. We are eager to support early-career artists, people trying something new in their artistic practice or artists in new collaborations. We are looking for projects or ideas that have already been through an initial period of research* and are ready to be developed further for public presentation. If you think the resources made available through this programme would support you in taking the next step in your artistic development, please apply. Five projects will be selected.
Selections will be made by the National Ballet’s Open Space Selection Committee and evaluated based on artistic merit, originality, and viability within a multi-artist event. The committee will look at applications in relation to one another with a curatorial approach.
The committee is made up of:
Robert Binet – Director, Artist Development Programmes and Choreographic Associate, The National Ballet of Canada
Alyssa Martin – Associate, Artist Development Programmes, The National Ballet of Canada and Artistic Director and Choreographer, Rock Bottom Movement
Natasha Powell – Artistic Director, Holla Jazz
Danah ‘Legendary Mother Maldita Siriano’ Rosales - Multi-disciplinary dance artist, choreographer and teacher
Applications are open to all professional dance artists* residing within the Greater Toronto Area.
Citadel Spring Mix will offer a creation residency of approximately 96 hours of studio time at The Walter Carsen Centre through The National Ballet of Canada’s Open Space programme. This time can be divided into 12 full days (eight hours), 24 half days (four hours) or a combination. Creation residencies will be scheduled in November and December 2023 and March 2024.
Presentations will take place at The Citadel: Ross Centre for Dance between April 2 – 14, 2024. These works will be spread across two programmes, each receiving four performances. Each project will receive four hours of technical rehearsal at The Citadel during the week of March 25, April 1 or April 8, 2024, and one dress rehearsal at The Citadel during the week of April 1 or April 8, 2024. Each project will be supported by a Lighting Designer, Technical Director and Stage Manager.
Marketing and promotion will be managed jointly by Citadel + Compagnie and The National Ballet of Canada.
Successful applicants will receive a $2,000 presentation fee and $2,160 for the Open Space bursary for the Creation Residency for a total of $4,160 + HST if applicable.
Parameters for Presentation
- Works must be 15 to 22 minutes in length
- There is a maximum of six performers in each work due to the amount of dressing room space we can offer
- All performers must be at least 18 years of age
- Proposed works must use original music or music for which the artist received permission from the owner for its use
- Works must fit within a 30 x 28 ft space, black floors, black side masking and brick back wall
- Works must require minimal technical support; all props and scenery must be approved by the venue; the presenter has the right to disallow the use of any technical/artistic element that conflicts with The Citadel theatre’s conditions
- Artists are responsible for hiring and managing all performers in their work
- Artists must provide their own costumes
Parameters for Creation Residency through the Open Space programme
- Only non-marking footwear is permitted due to the sprung floor and vinyl surface, any footwear that creates high impact in a small area (i.e. stiletto heels) is not permitted as it could permanently damage the floor
- Sound equipment and pianos are available for rehearsal purposes
- No A/V or large equipment or set pieces permitted in the studios
- No overnight storage permitted
Applications Deadline: September 29, 2023
Artists will be notified by: October 27, 2023
The following questions will be asked when filling out the application.
Tell us about your artistic practice and what you are excited about right now. (max. 500 words)
This can include training, influences, past projects you are proud of, how you like to create and what you aspire to bring into the world through dance.
Tell us about the work you want to present at Citadel Spring Mix (max. 500 words)
This can include concept, collaborators, the look and feel of the work and why you want to share this now.
Phase of Development: We would love to hear about research you have undertaken inside and/or outside of the studio and what learnings that has yielded.
- 1What phase of development is the project at? (max. 100 words)
For example, have you spent time in the studio? Are you in a conceptual phase? Have you a first draft of the work you would like to present?
- 2What have you learned in your initial phases of research? (max. 250 words)
- 3How have conversations with your collaborators evolved? (max. 250 words)
What are the steps you feel you need to take to get this work ready for the stage? (max. 500 words)
In this section you can speak to additional collaborators you are seeking, your rehearsal goals, production or design elements you might be hoping to explore and anything else that will move you towards realizing your vision for this project.
What do you hope audiences will take away from your performance at Citadel Spring Mix? (max. 50 words)
Support Materials: Video support material is preferred, please include:
- Up to 10 mins of video of work you have done on this project OR
- Five minutes of video from a previous project and:
- Up to 1 page of written support material* OR
- Five pages of image-based support material*