About Open Space
The National Ballet of Canada’s Open Space provides 1,200 hours of free studio space each season at The Walter Carsen Centre to dance artists in Toronto. By sharing the National Ballet’s resources with the local dance community for one to two-week periods, Open Space aims to support a wide variety of dance genres and disciplines. Dance artists at any place in their career working on movement research, a new creation or further developing an existing work are all encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage applications from gender non-conforming/trans, LGBTQ+, visible minorities and indigenous artists.
The selections will be made by an advisory committee made up of the National Ballet’s Choreographic Associate Robert Binet, Choreographer and Artistic Director of Human Body Expression Hanna Kiel and Choreographer and Artistic Director of KasheDance Kevin Ormsby.
The committee will aim to dedicate approximately one-third of the space to projects focused on movement research, one-third to artists who have an upcoming performance and need to get the work ready for the stage and one-third to artists who are revising or re-staging existing works. The committee will look for applicants that are focused on movement development as there is no capacity to bring production elements (i.e. sets, technical equipment) into the studios.
- Open Space is available for periods of five to seven days or 10 to 14 days
- The days may not follow a typical Monday to Friday schedule
- The studios will generally be available from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on weekdays, 3:30 pm to 9:00pm on Saturdays and 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Sundays
- There is a cap of 20 participants per group
- All participants must sign a waiver and release form
- The studio spaces available for Open Space are those used by the National Ballet for rehearsals and therefore only non-marking footwear is permitted. Due to the sprung floor and vinyl surface, any footwear that creates high impact in a small area (i.e. stiletto heels) is not permitted as it could permanently damage the floor
- Sound equipment and pianos are available for rehearsal purposes
- No A/V or large equipment or set pieces permitted in the studios
- No overnight storage permitted
Open Space will next be available between November 5th, 2019 and January 12 2020 for 1-2 week periods. Applications will open in August.
If you have any questions about Open Space please email CreativAction@nboc.ca.
Some past and upcoming participants in the Open Space programme are:
- Rodney Diverlus
- Dancemakers Peer Learning Group
- Jessie Garon
- Martha Hart
- Emma Kerson
- Robert Kingsbury
- Shannon Litzenberger
- Alyssa Martin
- Belinda McGuire
- Alysa Pires
- Patricia Pyrka
- Lauren Runions
- Heidi Strauss
- Mateo Galindo Torres