The National Ballet of Canada’s Open Space programme provides over 1,500 hours of free studio space each year at The Walter Carsen Centre to dance artists in Toronto. By sharing the National Ballet’s studios with the local dance community, Open Space aims to support a wide variety of dance genres and disciplines. Dance artists at any place in their career working on movement research, a new creation or further developing an existing work are all encouraged to apply. We encourage applications from IBPOC and LGBTQ+ artists.
The selections are made by an advisory committee. Applications for studio space in November and December 2022 will be reviewed by a committee made up of the National Ballet’s Choreographic Associate and Curator and Producer, CreativAction and Special Initiatives Robert Binet, Artistic Director of Nova Dance Nova Bhattacharya and Artistic Director of ZahraMoves Zahra Badua. Applications for studio space from January-June 2023 will be reviewed by Robert Binet, Nova Bhattacharya and Artistic Director of Esie Mensah Creations, Esie Mensah. The advisory committee changes each season and in the past has included Alysa Pires, Rodney Diverlus, Hanna Kiel, Kevin A. Ormsby and Anisa Tejpar.
Artists have the option of applying for full days in our studio (eight hours) or half days (four hours). Also, a new Open Space bursary will provide successful applicants with $180 for each full day or $90 for each half day spent in the studio.
- Open Space is available for periods of five to seven days or ten to fourteen days
- The days may not follow a typical Monday to Friday schedule
- The studios will generally be available from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on weekdays and 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm on weekends
- There is a cap of 20 participants per group
- All participants must sign a waiver and release form
- All participants must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 and abide by all National Ballet health and safety protocols
- The studio spaces available for Open Space are those used by the National Ballet for rehearsals and therefore only non-marking footwear is permitted. Due to the sprung floor and vinyl surface, any footwear that creates high impact in a small area (i.e. stiletto heels) is not permitted as it could permanently damage the floor
- Sound equipment and pianos are available for rehearsal purposes
- No A/V or large equipment or set pieces permitted in the studios
- No overnight storage permitted
Important Dates for Studio Space in November and December 2022
Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
Successful applicants will be notified by October 14, 2022.
Important Dates for Studio Space in January, February, March and April 2023
Application Deadline: November 4, 2022
Successful applicants will be notified by November 25, 2022
Important Dates for Studio Space in June 2023
Application Deadline: January 27, 2023
Successful applicants will be notified by March 3, 2023
All applicants must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to take part in our Open Space Program. You will be required to show proof of vaccination prior to participating in the program. Masks are required in all common areas at the Walter Carsen Centre, but are optional in the studios. Thank you for your understanding.
If you have any questions about Open Space, please email CreativAction@nboc.ca.