About Open Space
The National Ballet of Canada’s Open Space programme provides over 1,000 hours of free studio space each year at The Walter Carsen Centre to dance artists in Toronto. By sharing the National Ballet’s studios with the local dance community for one to two-week periods, Open Space aims to support a wide variety of dance genres and disciplines. Dance artists at any place in their career working on movement research, a new creation or further developing an existing work are all encouraged to apply. We encourage applications from IBPOC and LGBTQ+ artists.
The selections are made by an advisory committee made up of the National Ballet’s Choreographic Associate and Curator and Producer, CreativAction and Special Initiatives Robert Binet, Artistic Director of Nova Dance Nova Bhattacharya and Artistic Director of Esie Mensah Creations Esie Mensah. The advisory committee changes each season and in the past has included Alysa Pires, Rodney Diverlus, Hanna Kiel, Kevin A. Ormsby and Anisa Tejpar.
New in 2022 is the option of applying for full days in our studio (eight hours) or half days (four hours). Also, a new Open Space bursary will provide successful applicants with $180 for each full day or $90 for each half day spent in the studio.
- Open Space is available for periods of five to seven days or ten to fourteen days
- The days may not follow a typical Monday to Friday schedule
- The studios will generally be available from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on weekdays and 1:30pm to 5:30pm on weekends
- There is a cap of 20 participants per group
- All participants must sign a waiver and release form
- All participants must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 and abide by all National Ballet health and safety protocols
- The studio spaces available for Open Space are those used by the National Ballet for rehearsals and therefore only non-marking footwear is permitted. Due to the sprung floor and vinyl surface, any footwear that creates high impact in a small area (i.e. stiletto heels) is not permitted as it could permanently damage the floor
- Sound equipment and pianos are available for rehearsal purposes
- No A/V or large equipment or set pieces permitted in the studios
- No overnight storage permitted
Applications are now closed and will reopen in Summer 2022. If you have any questions about Open Space, please email CreativAction@nboc.ca.