Hannah Galway. Photo by Karolina Kuras.
Born: Comox, British Columbia
Trained: Canada's National Ballet School
Second Soloist Since: 2020
Hannah Galway is sponsored through Dancers First by Alison & Alan Schwartz.
Five Things to Know
- 1At the age of 13, Hannah left her hometown on Vancouver Island to train at Canada’s National Ballet School, where she fell in love with art history and visual art. She still enjoys painting in her free time.
- 2In 2016, she performed at the Holland Dance Festival to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Holland by Canadian soldiers in World War II. She also performed in Hamburg that year to celebrate the 20th anniversary of John Neumeier’s Yondering.
- 3Hannah became interested in choreography as a student. In 2017, she created Handling for Assemblée Internationale, an international performance series established by Canada’s National Ballet School.
- 4In 2020, she created a featured role in the world premiere of Crystal Pite Angels’ Atlas, a powerful work about the fragility and beauty of human existence.
- Hannah’s repertoire includes The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, The Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Romeo and Juliet, Anna Karenina, The Merry Widow, The Dream, Paquita, Emergence, Petite Mort, Chaconne and Paz de la Jolla, among other works.
- 2La Sylphide
- 4Bella Figura (Jiří Kylián)
- 5Angels' Atlas
Hannah Galway was born in Comox, British Columbia and trained at Canada’s National Ballet School. Hannah joined The National Ballet of Canada as a RBC Apprentice in 2017 and was promoted to Second Soloist in 2020.
Most recently, Hannah debuted as the Other Stepsister and Blossom in Cinderella, Nurse in Romeo and Juliet and Evelyn Lambart in Frame by Frame and performed in the world premiere of MADDADDAM by Wayne McGregor. Hannah’s repertoire includes Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker, Giselle, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Anna Karenina, The Merry Widow, The Dream, The Second Detail, The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, Emergence, Angels’ Atlas, Serenade, Elite Syncopations, Paz de la Jolla, Paquita, The Dreamers Ever Leave You and Skyward.
Hannah was awarded the Patron Award of Merit in 2019 and the RBC Emerging Artist Award in 2018.