Nio Hirano. Photo by Karolina Kuras.
Born: Tokyo, Japan
Trained: Pacific Dance Centre, Victoria, BC, American Ballet Theatre Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School, New York City, Greenwich Ballet Academy, Connecticut, Ellison Ballet Professional Training Program, New York City and European School of Ballet, Amsterdam
Five Things to Know
- 1Nio studied piano seriously until she was 16 years old and has performed in two solo recitals along with her twin sister, as well as a piano concert with a live orchestra.
- 2Although she was born in Tokyo, Japan, Nio also considers Duncan, British Columbia, her home as she spent much of her childhood there.
- 3Nio has lived in Tokyo, San Mateo in California, Duncan, New York, Amsterdam, Toulouse in France and Hong Kong.
- 4She loves to cook and eat, especially farm fresh and well grown food.
- 5Nio dislikes chocolate and candy.
- 1The Sleeping Beauty by Marius Petipa
- 2Jewels by George Balanchine
- 3Romeo and Juliet by Rudolf Nureyev and Kenneth MacMillan
- 4Swan Lake by Marius Petipa after Lev Ivanov
- 5Giselle by Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa
Nio Hirano was born in Tokyo, Japan and trained at Pacific Dance Centre, Victoria, British Columbia. She joined The National Ballet of Canada as a Corps de Ballet member in 2023.
Nio’s repertoire with other companies includes Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker by Liudmila Polonskaya after Marius Petipa, and roles in Septime Webre’s The Nutcracker, Cynthia Harvey’s The Sleeping Beauty, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Jewels, Kingdom of the Shades from Rudolf Nureyev’s La Bayadère and Raymonda.
Dancer Q&A: Nio Hirano