Born: Watford, England
Trained: Newcastle Dance Academy in Australia, New Zealand School of Dance in New Zealand and San Francisco Ballet School in California
Principal Dancer Since: 2023
Christopher Gerty is sponsored through Dancers First by Ms. Nancy Viner & Dr. Raymond Stein.
Five Things to Know
- 1Christopher was born in England but spent most of his childhood in Australia. He was inspired to dance by his cousins and by age 15, he was a student at the New Zealand School of Dance.
- 2He first saw The National Ballet of Canada perform when he was on exchange at Canada’s National Ballet School. He joined the company as an RBC Apprentice in 2014 and became a member of the Corps de Ballet the following year.
- 3In 2018, he debuted in the principal role of A Man in James Kudelka’s The Four Seasons. He also performs the lead roles of Siegfried in Swan Lake, Peter/The Nutcracker in The Nutcracker, Diamond Man in The Sleeping Beauty, Lewis Carroll/The White Rabbit in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Stiva in Anna Karenina.
- 4In 2020, Choreographic Associate Alysa Pires adapted her piece In Between to create a solo for Christopher to perform as part of the Expansive Dances series of filmed works.
- His repertoire includes such ballets as Romeo and Juliet, Giselle, Onegin, The Winter’s Tale, Nijinsky, Manon, The Four Temperaments, Piano Concerto #1, The Concert, The Dream, Paquita, Approximate Sonata 2016, Genus and Angels’ Atlas.
Christopher Gerty was born in Watford, England and trained at Newcastle Dance Academy in Australia, New Zealand School of Dance and San Francisco Ballet School in California. Christopher joined The National Ballet of Canada as a RBC Apprentice in 2014 and was promoted to Principal Dancer in 2023.
Most recently, Christopher made his debut in the title role in Romeo and Juliet, Ancestor Zeb in the world premiere of Wayne McGregor’s MADDADDAM and the Canadian premieres of David Dawson’s Anima Animus and Alonzo King’s The Collective Agreement. Versatile and charismatic, Christopher has performed Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake, Lewis Carroll/The White Rabbit in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Peter/The Nutcracker in The Nutcracker, Prince Charming in Cinderella, Diamond Man in The Sleeping Beauty, A Man in The Four Seasons and Stiva in Anna Karenina. His repertoire includes Giselle, Onegin, The Winter’s Tale, Nijinsky, The Merry Widow, La Sylphide, Pinocchio, Le Petit Prince, Manon, The Four Temperaments, Piano Concerto #1, The Concert, The Dream, Paquita, The Second Detail, Approximate Sonata 2016, Genus, Emergence, Angels’ Atlas, Skyward, Elite Syncopations, Cacti, Being and Nothingness, Paz de la Jolla, The Sea Above, The Sky Below, The Dreamers Ever Leave You and Crepuscular.
In 2018, Christopher was awarded the Patron Award of Merit.